One of the most popular dishes cooked frequently at all Greek homes during spring and summer is Tourlou. It is a preferred recipe for many when the ingredients are in season and easier to find the local produce. Really simple to make, very healthy and absolutely delicious.
It is considered as a version of the Ratatouille but in Greece, we insist on calling it “Tourlou”!
Prep time: 30min | Cook time: 45min | Total time: 1h & 15min | Serving size: 4-6
- 4 large aubergines
- 4 large courgettes
- 4 large potatoes
- 4 ripe large tomatoes
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tea cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tea cup of water
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC.
- Rinse the vegetables.
- Cut each aubergines into 6 pieces.
- Cut the courgettes into 6 pieces (4-5cm thick, because they will shrink in the oven).
- Cut the potatoes into 6.
- Cut the tomatoes into 4.
- Put the veggies combo in a 34-36cm rectangular high-sided roasting pan.
- Crush the garlic and blend it with the olive oil and pour it over the veggies.
- Add the parsley.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine everything well with your hands or with 2 ladles.
- Add the water.
- Put the pan in the preheated oven and cover with oven paper for the first half hour.
- Then remove the cover and continue roasting for another 15 minutes.
- Serve at room temperature and accompany it with feta cheese and crispy bread.