One of the most known starters in the Greek cuisine is the famous Tzatziki! Served always as a starter in a small plate Tzatziki is loved by locals and visitors. When in Greece you can find it in all types of restaurants.
For Greeks Tzatziki is great with meat and poultry and they never serve it when the menu is based on fish and seafood.
Making Tzatziki at home no-mater where you are located in the world is simple and easy. You just need Greek Yogurt, cucumber, garlic, olive oil…
- 1/2 kilo strained Greek yogurt
- 1 big cucumber
- 4 garlic cloves (more makes it with stronger taste)
- Salt to taste
- Olive Oil
- Grate the garlic (preferably mashed till it becomes creamy) and mix it with salt and vinegar.
- Peel the cucumber, grate it and squeeze it until all its water is removed.
- Put the yogurt into a bowl and add the cucumber into it. Then mix the yogurt with the mixture of grated garlic.
- Whiz the content until all the ingredients are well mixed. Add some oil.
- Tzatziki can be served in a normal room temperature but it in Greece is served cold from the refrigerator.