The island of Paxoi! A real paradise is floating in the Ionian Sea…. A spectacular green island with turquoise seawaters and spectacular caves, quaint fishing villages and incredible beaches.… A place with character and tradition! A balmy, gentle, serene, unspoiled destination!
Returning visitors, add that this place is magical! Some call it even unreal, as it stands graciously embraced by its amazing seawaters.
This is Paxi or Paxos, the Benjamin of the Ionian Islands or Eptanissa as called by the locals! The favourite stop of all yachtsmen who roam the waters of the Ionian Sea.
The island that as per the myth is Poseidon’s creation! A love nest for him and Amphitrite! Judging from the result, he did an amazing job when he struck with his trident the southernmost tip of Corfu and formed the small cluster of islands and islets of Paxos and Antipaxos! And the islanders vouching for Poseidon’s actions have made the trident the island’s emblem!
Rumours also have it that this place was the shelter for Cleopatra and Mark Antony…
Lying 7 miles south of Corfu, 8 miles from the coast of Epirus and 12 miles from Parga, Paxi is a priceless discovery.
While in Paxi you should not miss out on visiting:
- Ostries, for the view of Avlaki at sunset
- The beaches or spiagges as the locals call them: Kloni Gouli, Kamini, Kaki Langada
- The olives museum. A traditional preserved olive mill on the road to Lakka
- The castle of Agios Nikolaos on the isle of the same name
- The Monastery of Virgin Mary on the isle in front of Gaios
- The well of Agioi Apostoloi
- The Palaiochristianic Church of Agia Marina
- The Museum of Paxos
- The well of Agioi Anargyroi
- The well of Eleoussa, over the church, at Vlachopoulatika
- And of course Antipaxoi
Article | Copyright © INAOSSIEN