Spanakopita is all Greeks’ favourite dish; especially when prepared and cooked the traditional way. And this is a recipe used in our family for years. Enjoy and do not hesitate to contact us if you need more tips…
PREP TIME: 1 HOUR, 30 MINUTES | COOK TIME: 1 HOUR | TOTAL TIME: 2 HOURS, 30 MINUTES
FOR THE PHYLLO PASTRY
- 500 gr of flour
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tea cup virgin olive oil
- 5 tablespoons of vinegar
FOR THE FILLING
- 1/2 kilogram of spinach
- 4-5 spring onions
- 1 bunch of dill
- 1/2 kilo feta cheese
- 1 espresso cup of rice
- 3-4 eggs
- Salt & pepper to taste
THE PHYLLO PASTRY
- In a extra large plastic or glass bowl we mix the ¾ of flour with the salt, the oil and the vinegar
- We add little by little the water and work the mix with our hands
- We stop adding water when the mix no longer sticks in our hands (we can add more flour if by accident we poured in too much water)
- We separate the mix in 3 equally sized portions which we make them like small balls and we place them in the bowl sprinkled with flour
FOR THE FILLING
- Wash well and chop the spinach
- Wash well and chop the spring anions
- Wash well the dill and chop it in fine pieces
- Smash the feta cheese by hand into small pieces
- We add the spinach, the spring anions, the dill, the feta cheese, the eggs, the rice and the salt and pepper in a large bowl and we “rub” it with our hands in order for the ingredients to unite.
MAKING THE PHYLLO
- We take each “ball” of pastry and we make one phyllo out of each that has to be worked till it becomes large enough to cover the baking pan as well as it sides and usually there are bits that are coming out of and around the pan
PLACING EVERYTHING IN THE BAKING PAN
- We oil well the baking pan
- We place in the first two phyllo making sure that there is enough to be extended outside of the pan
- We add the spinach mix and make sure that is spread evenly all over
- On top we place the last phyllo
- We turn the edges of the phyllo to the inside part of the pan
- With a brush dipped well in the olive oil, we oil the top phyllo well
- With a knife we gently make the marks of cutting the pie in the size of slices we wish to have them served
- We bake the pie in preheated oven in 180oC (Celsius) for about an hour
– The Baking Pan size is 44 x 30 x 5 cm if rectangular and 35cm width if round.
– The rise absorbs the liquids of the spinach so this is the little secret.
– If you like strong flavors then in the mix you can add fine chopped fennel, parsley and all kinds of herbs (All fresh and not the dried ones).
– Portions: 12-16 pieces (Greek Size).